How did PM RTE make people so angry?
(The first 10 are from here.)
(The first 10 are from here.)
1) The constitutional amendment they are trying to pass moving Turkey to a US based Presidential system - This will give AKP another 10 years of electability. Convenient timing as under the current regime Erdoğan won't be eligible for PM in next elections. http://on.wsj.com/OM2UPQ
2) Restriction on alcohol use. It started as a bill for a full ban but under public pressure was passed as "restrictions" (Bans the sell of it between 10 pm and 6 am). Oh and did you know our national drink is now Ayran? (Watered down yogurt) instead of Raki (anice based liquor widely popular in Turkey). Yup cause Erdogan said so. Because 1.5 litres per capita a year, the Turkish youth clearly needs to be put in AA. http://bit.ly/1aHmKY2.
3) Turkish Airlines ban on red lipstick for hostesses. http://bit.ly/165xTnP
4) Did you know that our PM decides how many kids we should have? The magic number is three. Because clearly there is not enough orphans in the world. http://bit.ly/18I4sqG
5) Subway authorities making announcements regarding "moral rules" http://huff.to/110P46s
6) Interfering with the freedom of Turkish Press. We have more journalists in jail than Iran. http://nyr.kr/xaIf3x
7) Imprisonment of the Turkish thought leaders with the "Ergenekon" Operation which accuses them of conspiracy against government. We are never told what specific evidence the government has against these people. http://nyti.ms/15v3We7
8) Building shopping malls and mosques in historical public spaces, changing the landscape without asking the public. http://bit.ly/1aPJXHI
9) For wanting to name the new Bosphorus bridge after a Sultan that the Alevi minority regard as a mass murderer. Think calling Berlin wall the Hitler wall. This is also example of insensitivity to public opinion. http://bloom.bg/18DlUwh
10) On top of all of this our PM calls his own people drunks, marginals, the others, the mob who should be hanged. What we see is our freedoms eroding under this government.
11) Restraint on the mainstream media. At the first 3 days of Gezi Park protest in Turkey, not even a single tv channel showed what was happening. Can you believe that CNNTurk was showing a penguin documentary (while CNNInternational was actually doing its job)?
12) Social media is the only way to reach information in Turkey. Erdoğan sees it as: "The biggest trouble of societies." Police raided into private houses and arrested 24 people who were tweeting and helped spread the word (June 4th, 2013). (Update: Turkish government blocked access to Twitter in March-April 2014 for 2 weeks.)
13) Ruling party AKP has no respect for neither historical values, nor its citizens. So called 'urban transformation' projects demolished historical places to turn them into residences and shopping malls. People who were living in those districts were sent to suburbs of Istanbul where they were socially isolated. Two examples of those projects: Sulukule, Tarlabasi.
14) Reyhanlı. Not more than one month before Gezi Park uprising; Hatay was bombed (a city at south Turkey). 51 people died, more than 400 got injured. Media, again, showed nothing about it for a long time. The attack was a result of RTE's aggressive and war-calling attitude towards Syria.
15) May the 1st. Citizens if Istanbul encountered the excessive usage of pepper gas at May 1st, at the "Workers celebration". RTE, as another restriction of freedom of expression, banned the usage of Taksim square for the gathering. You were able to sniff the gas from your own house.
... and so on.